Viaro, an international school in Barcelona, Spain, in conjunction with the Eastlands College of Technology holds a Reach Out Program (ROP) each year in Nairobi’s Eastlands environs. The students from both institution join hands in carrying out projects to uplift the living conditions of the people living in the slums.
This year, the one month long event began from 9th June all the way to the 2nd July 2018. A total of 35 boys from Viaro participated. They were hosted at Eastlands College during their stay in Kenya.
Notable activities and projects that the group was engaged in included:
- Making desks for Downstream Community School
- Teaching students in various schools in Sinai Slum, Nairobi
- Carrying our various menial work at a disabled kids’ home, Mary’s Parish, Mukuru slum
- Repainting classes at Eastlands College of Technology
- Digging up holes for security light posts around the College.
The beneficiary of the initiatives were very grateful to the two institutions for coming up with such an idea.